Using English is an invaluable text analyzer tool for high school
English Online http://eleaston.com/materials.html
SAT Vocabulary Quiz http://quizhub.com/quiz/f-vocabulary.cfm
Merriam-Webster Online http://www.m-w.com/
High School English Hub http://highschoolhub.org/hub/english.cfm
Poetry Class http://www.poetryclass.net/index.htm
Check out the rhyming dictionary at Rhyme Zone.
Self Study Grammar Quizzes http://a4esl.org/q/h/grammar.html
Grammar Quiz http://www.englishgrammarconnection.com/cgi-bin/qrun4.pl
Grammar Bytes http://www.chompchomp.com/exercises.htm
Web English Teacher Grammar http://www.webenglishteacher.com/grammar.html
Daily Grammar Lessons http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.shtml
English Grammar Lessons http://www.englishgrammarconnection.com/lessonstart.html
Glencoe Connecting Writing with Grammar
Glencoe Proofreading Practice
Spelling Lessons - ei, ie Words http://kidshub.org/kids/spelling-ei.cfm
Daily Spelling Bee
Glencoe Vocabulary Practice
Get Writing http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/getwriting/
Writing Mechanics http://www.englishgrammarconnection.com/cgi-bin/wir1.pl
Avoiding Plagiarism http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_plagiar.html
Research & Writing: Step by Step http://www.ipl.org/div/aplus/stepfirst.htm
Writing Research Papers http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/index.html
Fan Fiction(publish stories online) http://fanfiction.com/
Fiction Press(publish stories online) http://fictionpress.com/
Writer's Resource Library http://www.riverdeep.net/partners/aol/language_arts/main.jhtml
APA Bibliography Generator http://www.noodletools.com/noodlebib/index.php?style=APA&level=2
Research Paper Bibliography MLA Citations http://www.noodletools.com/quickcite/
How to Write A Term Paper http://www.gale.com/free_resources/term_paper/index.htm
Term Paper Template (Word File...clickSAVE)
Thesis Template (Word File...clickSAVE)
Book Review: Secondary
Book Report(PowerPoint File...clickSAVE)
Literature CyberGuides http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/score/cy912.html
Suggested Reading List for High School Students http://www.phschool.com/curriculum_support/reading_list/high_school.html
Literature: Barrow's Booknotes,Bookrags Notes,Sparknotes Free Online Study Guides,Classic Notes,Bartleby,Page by Page,Project Gutenberg
Reading Comprehension Quizzes http://www.readingcomprehensionconnection.com/lesson.html
Literature Teaching Materials http://go.hrw.com/hrw.nd/gohrw_rls1/pKeywordResults?btm%20select
Romeo and Juliet Resources
Mr. Shakespeare and the Net
Complete Works of Shakespeare http://www-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/works.html
Famous Poets & Poems http://eir.library.utoronto.ca/rpo/display/indexpoetdate.html
Favorite American Poets http://www.poets.org/poets/index.cfm
Online Rhyming Dictionary http://www.rhymezone.com
Glossary of Poetic Terms http://www.poeticbyway.com/glossary.html
Poetry for High School Students http://www.loc.gov/poetry/180/p180-list.html
Teen Reads http://www.teenreads.com/index.asp
Myth Web http://www.mythweb.com/index.html
Encyclopedia Mythica http://www.pantheon.org/
Aesop's Fables Online http://www.pacificnet.net/~johnr/aesop/
To Kill A Mocking Bird, Student Survival Guide
- Absolute Shakespeare This site provides extensive resources for William Shakespeare's plays, sonnets, poems, quotes, biography and the legendary Globe Theatre.
- American Memory includes original documents, maps, photographs, sound recordings and more from American history. Features a collection finder, search engine, learning activities that build on information literacy skills and "today in history".
- AskAsia's student page points to exciting articles, informational outlines, maps, photographs, drawings and timelines. This resources was created to help educate American students about the vital role of Asia in the continued prosperity of the United States. There's also aTeacher's Pageand theAskAsia Homepage.
- Biography.com enables students to learn about over 25,000 of the greatest lives, past and present, play Who Am I?. Teachers can accessclassroom study guides.
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare includes electronic text of many of Shakespeare's plays and poems.
- Country Reportsis an excellent and comprehensive online reference website that provides lots of content area text organized within a database. (Some information requires a low cost subscription.)
- CNN Learning Resources offers web-delivered instruction using current and past CNN San Francisco bureau news stories. Although the intended audience is adults, high school students can benefit from this technology supported reading aid.
- Crossroads K-16 American History Curriculum
- Discovering Dickens lets students choose from five cases, visit related sources, and then transform the information into a project such as a timeline, diary, storyboard, or poster to demonstrate their newfound knowledge.
- Encyclopedia Mythica is an encylopedia of mythology, folklore and legend. It contains over 6000 definitions of gods and goddesses, supernatural beings and legendary creatures and monsters from all over the world.
- Fake Out vocabulary game by Education Place
- Focusing on Words and building vocabulary with Latin and Greek roots
- High School Journalism has compiled many high school newspapers from around the United States. Chat with a journalist, take an online quiz, learn more about the most common terms used in the newspaper, and much more. There's a place forteacherstoo.
- HyperGrammar is produced by the Writing Center at the University of Ottawa and provides a hypertext tutorial for students learning more about the grammar of the English language.
- Learn to Write a Speech walks you through the process with great tips organized in a readable fashion.
- New York Times Learning Network for Students and Teachers includes daily interactive updates, lesson plans, web explorations, NIE resources and more.
- PinkMonkey BookNotes and Study Guides features more than 350 literature summaries and helpful booknotes as well as many other resources.
- SCORE Cyberguides for Students in Grades 9-12 includes interactive web-based learning guides for over 40 popular pieces of literature covered in many high school literature curriculums. There's also a section for Foreign Language Cyberguides. Don't miss this one!
- Scholastic NewsZone,Weekly Reader and Time for Kids are wonderful reading materials for students reading in the content areas.
- The Digital Classroom from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) includes a wealth of resources and instructional strategies to encourage teachers of students at all levels to use archival documents in the classroom.
- Thinkquest.org engages collaborative teams of students from around the world in the process of designing educational websites for use on the Internet. You can access the Thinkquest Library, a culmination of over twelve years of online web development, or find out more about you can become a member of a Thinkquest design team.
- The Valley of the Shadow is a hypermedia archive of thousands of sources for the period before, during, and after the Civil War for Augusta County, Virginia, and Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Those sources include newspapers, letters, diaries, photographs, maps, church records, population census, agricultural census, and military records. Students can explore every dimension of the conflict and write their own histories, reconstructing the life stories of women, African Americans, farmers, politicians, soldiers, and families.
World Cultures is an interactive reading environment intended for use with higher level students that "rewards independence, interest, self-direction, and intellectual interaction with the authors of the material". It combines the reading and course materials of two World Cultures courses taught using web-based materials.